GSTR 3B Online Preparation and submission
Step by step process for preparing GSTR 3B online
What is GSTR 3B ?
The GSTR-3B is a consolidated summary return of inbound and outward supply created by the Government of India to ease the burden on enterprises that have recently switched to GST.
As many small and medium businesses use manual accounting methods, many will have trouble filing returns by the July 2017 deadline. Hence, tax payments between July 2017 and June 2018 will be processed using a simple return called GSTR-3B.
Prerequisites for filing GSTR 3B
- If your business is required to file GSTR-1, GSTR-2, or GSTR-3 monthly returns, you will need to submit the GSTR-3B form.
- To verify your return using an EVC (electronic verification code) or a digital signing certificate, you will need an OTP from your registered phone (of class 2 or higher). You can also use an Aadhar-based e-sign to file your GST returns.
Taxpayers are required to declare their GST liabilities for a particular tax period and discharge these liabilities in Form GSTR-3B. A normal taxpayer is required to file Form GSTR-3B returns for every tax period applicable.
- Taxpayers have to file Form GSTR-3B even if there is no business activity (Nil Return).
- Amendment of Form GSTR-3B is not allowed.
- For the taxpayers who have opted to file Form GSTR-1( Statement of Outward Supplies furnished by all normal and casual registered taxpayers) or for those whose GSTR-2B (Auto-drafted ITC statement) is generated by the system on monthly or quarterly frequency, GSTR-3B will be auto-generated by system and will be available on their GSTR-3B dashboard page.
- For the taxpayers who haven’t opted to file Form GSTR-1, the liability values in GSTR-3B will not be auto-populated in Table 3.1.
- For the taxpayers whose Form GSTR-2B is not generated by the system yet, the ITC values in Table-4 & reverse charge liability in Table-3.1(d) of Form GSTR-3B will not be auto-populated.
- For the taxpayers who have opted to file GSTR-3B quarterly, the Form GSTR-2B is available both quarterly and monthly.
Login and Navigate to Form GSTR-3B - Return page
- Access the www.gst.gov.in URL. The GST Home page is displayed. Login to the GST Portal with valid credentials.
- The Returns Calendar for the last 5 return periods status is displayed such as: Filed, Not Filed, To be Filed.
- To change your return filing preference, click the Change link, which will direct you to the Opt-in Quarterly page.
2. Click the Services > Returns > Returns Dashboard option.
- The File Returns page is displayed. Select the Financial Year, Quarter (Quarter 1 – 4) & Period (Month) for which you want to file the return from the drop-down list. Click the SEARCH button.
- In case you are a Quarterly return filer, you are required to file Form GSTR-3B for the last month of the quarter, for example June, September etc. Form GSTR-3B tile will not be available, if you select M1 or M2 of quarter, in such a case.
3.1. The File Returns page is displayed. This page displays the due date of filing the returns, which the taxpayer is required to file (using separate tiles). In the Form GSTR-3B tile, click the PREPARE ONLINE button.
3.2. A list of questions are displayed. You need to answer all the questions to show the relevant sections of Form GSTR 3B as applicable to you. Click the NEXT button. Based on your answers, relevant tables of Form GSTR-3B will be visible on the next screen. You may go back to the previous screen by clicking on the BACK button.
Note: In case of auto-population from Form GSTR-1 or Form GSTR-2B, only the first question will be displayed in the questionnaire page.
4. To file return:
Answer the relevant questions with Yes or No and click on Next.
The System Generated Summary for GSTR-3B is displayed. This page displays the details of GSTR-3B table, Source Form, Form Status, Summary Status and advisory. Click the CLOSE button to view Form GSTR-3B – Monthly Return page.
- The Form GSTR-3B – Monthly Return page is displayed. Click the SYSTEM GENERATED GSTR-3B button to download and view system-computed details from Forms GSTR-1 & GSTR-2B (monthly or quarterly) in Form GSTR-3B.
Note: Based on the selection made in the previous page, applicable tiles will be visible to you for providing the details.
- You can click the SYSTEM GENERATED GSTR-3B to view system-computed details from Forms GSTR-1 & GSTR-2B and auto-populated interest details.
- The values that are auto-populated in System Generated GSTR-3B are for the assistance of taxpayers. However, taxpayers have to ensure the correctness of the values being reported and filed in GSTR-3B in all respects.
- The auto-populated values can be edited by the taxpayers, if required. The taxpayers can continue their filing with the edited values, and the system will not restrict the same.
6. Preview Draft form GSTR-3B
Scroll down the page and click on SAVE GSTR3B to save the details. Next click on the PREVIEW DRAFT GSTR-3B button to view the summary page of Form GSTR-3B for your review. This button will download the draft Summary page of your Form GSTR-3B for your review. It is recommended that you download this Summary page and review the entries made in different sections with patience before proceeding with the payment. The PDF file generated would bear the watermark of draft as the liabilities are yet to be offset.
7. The PDF is displayed.
We have reached the conclusion of this post on steps for GSTR-3B online preparation and submission for both monthly and quarterly. Feel free to share your views and opinions with us in the comment section below.